Application Deadline: The application deadline for the TCF Refugee Award is January 31st of each year. Successful applicants will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
Description: The TCF Refugee Award is for a refugee who has shown courage and determination while adapting to a new language and culture in Canada. It is valued at $2,500.
The TCF Refugee Award recognizes a student who:
- Entered Canada as a refugee
- Completed Grade 12 or the equivalent
- Studied English as an additional language since arriving in Canada
- Wishes to study in a vocational or academic program at a post-secondary institution in British Columbia
- Must be a Grade 12 or equivalent graduate who wishes to attend a BC post-secondary institution
- Documented English language coursework at the secondary level
- Documented school or community volunteer service
- A description of the applicant’s life before coming to Canadaa. Two pages in length, double-spaced, approximately 500 words
- A personal essay (original copy signed by the applicant)a. Topic: How a post-secondary education will enable the applicant to contribute to Canadian society.
b. Two pages in length, double-spaced, approximately 500 words
- Two letters of reference:a. One from a teacher regarding academic performance
b. One from an administrator, counsellor, coach, sponsor, or coordinator regarding school or community volunteer service
- Documented proof of permanent residency or Canadian citizenship
- Transcripts documenting English language coursework or equivalent
- Completed application and supporting documents. Click here to download the TCF Refugee Award Application Form.
- The recipient is expected to commence post-secondary education within one year of receiving the award.
- The recipient must submit registration receipts from a BC post-secondary institution prior to the disbursement of funds.
TEAL Charitable Foundation
Attention: TCF Refugee Award
#206 – 640 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1G4