Applications open January 2, 2018. The application deadline is April 2, 2018.
PDK Prospective Educator Scholarships are available for high school seniors as well as current undergraduate students. PDK International is a family of education associations, which includes PDK International, Educators Rising, and Pi Lambda Theta. To be eligible for a scholarship, you must be a member of at least one of the associations:
- PDK International, a professional association for educators that works to cultivate great educators for tomorrow while continuing to ensure high-quality education for today. Undergraduate and graduate students are invited to join us in this important work.
- Educators Rising, a free membership organization for precollegiate young people exploring the path to great teaching and the adults directly supporting them on their journeys. If you are not a member, you can join Educators Rising for free.
- Pi Lambda Theta, a prestigious honor society serving to recognize outstanding preservice and practicing educators. If you’re pursuing a career in education and have an undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above, you’re eligible and can apply for membership today.
Types of Awards
Many PDK Prospective Educator Scholarships are available to any eligible applicant who intends to major in a field of education. A few scholarships are awarded based on your state/community of residence. Once your common application is completed, you will be considered for all scholarships for which you are eligible.
A select few PDK scholarships have specific eligibility criteria. Only those who indicate that they meet special criteria will be considered for those specific awards. The additional opportunities include scholarships for students:
- With demonstrated need (if you select this option, you must upload a copy of your FAFSA);
- Studying journalism or English who will teach;
- Who are high school seniors and the child of an active or retired United States Army parent and majoring in music or art with the objective to teach;
- Who plan to or already attend an HBCU (Historically Black College or University). PDK will confirm at a later date;
- Who are members of one of the following Catholic parishes: St. Patrick’s, Cairo, Illinois; St. Pius X, Chula Vista, California; St. Vincent’s, Bedford, Indiana; St. John the Apostle, Bloomington, Indiana; Holy Spirit Parish at Geist, Fishers, Indiana, OR is a student at: Bedford North Lawrence HS, Bloomington HS North, or Bloomington HS South;
- Who have overcome adversity. This scholarship supports women of nontraditional background in the Junior or Senior year of a B.A. program who have overcome adversity (abused, divorced, young mothers, single mothers, financial difficulties) and have maintained a B+ or higher. If you select this option, you will be asked to write a short paragraph detailing why you meet the criteria.
- Completed Online Application form.
- Transcript(s) as evidence of your academic success. (Please save it with a file name starting with your last name, e.g., Jones_transcript.pdf.)
- Personal Statement, no longer than 500 words, sharing a story about yourself that relates to why you want to become a teacher. Consider sharing about a personal challenge you’ve overcome, an experience with a teacher or other adult who inspires you, or other experience that supports your decision to become an educator.
- List of activities where you have worked with others in a teaching or learning capacity, including any education-focused clubs or organizations you belong to, as well as service activities or clubs, noting any leadership roles you have held.
- List of other significant extracurricular activities, such as employment and sports, not mentioned above, noting any leadership roles you have held.
- Letter of recommendation written by a person familiar with your academic abilities and school activities, and who can address your interest in teaching and the qualities that will make you a successful educator, including your gift for teaching, motivation, relative maturity, integrity, independence, originality, initiative, enthusiasm, leadership potential, capacity for growth, and special talents. (Please save it with a file name starting with your last name, e.g., Jones_letter.pdf.)