Applicants will be required to submit a 750-word essay on the year’s topic by to firstname.lastname@example.org, by the submission deadline. Applications should have the subject line “Scholarship Application” and include their name, age, phone number, current high school and intended post-secondary institution.
The application period will be from September 1st, 2019 to March 31st, 2020. All applicants will receive a confirmation of submission, as well as with a decision by May 15th, 2020.
This year’s topic:
Tell us about an important role model in your life. How did this person influence your interests, goals, or values?
Note: Submissions in either English or French are accepted.
- be in their final year of high school.
- be intending to attend a post-secondary institution in the 2020-2021 academic year that is a registered charity. (You can check here: https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/hacc/srch/pub/dsplyBscSrch?request_locale=en )
- (if possible) be able to attend the Magical Evening 2020 event to receive the award.
All applicants will receive an email confirmation that we have received their application.
First Round – Qualification
- Any applications that do not meet our requirements, for example if the applicant is not attending a post-secondary institution registered as a charity or did not answer the essay question, will be rejected.
- All eligible essays will be assigned a random number to avoid bias and the Scholarship Administrator, Hannah Christensen, will read all eligible essays and grade them based on the following criteria:
- Creativity (/5)
- Style and organization (/3)
- Punctuation, grammar, spelling (/2)
- Content (/5)
- Tips: Make sure your essay is creative, concise, and clear. While you should make some mention of extra-curricular activities and future goals, focus more on telling a compelling story than cramming in your entire résumé.
Final Round – Selection
- A final panel of the Christensen family and/or Celebrate the Child volunteers will read and evaluate the final 5 essays selected in the Second Round, and determine the final winner. The winning essay’s randomly assigned number will be connected back to the applicant’s contact information and the winner will be contacted.
If you’d like to receive a reminder when the 2021 application period opens, email email@example.com with the subject line “Please remind me – Scholarship 2021”