Fraser MacPherson Music Scholarship Fund Application 2017
The Fraser MacPherson Music Scholarship Fund was initiated to foster the music education of BC’s most promising young jazz instrumentalists. Scholarships are available up to the amount of $2000.00 each and may be awarded to instrumentalists (not vocalists) aged 25 and under (as of Dec. 31, 2017) who are residents of British Columbia. Students who have received more than $500 from the Fund in a previous competition are not eligible to apply again. Members of the Board of the Fraser MacPherson Music Scholarship Fund and members of their immediate families are not permitted to apply.
Please provide the following via email with the subject heading:
FRASER MACPHERSON MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP FUND APPLICATION 2017.
Please send in all required information. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please do not include any extra information with your application. Do not include any photos or images.
3. Birth date
4. Mailing address. You must give your complete address, including your postal code.
5. Home phone and mobile phone numbers
6. Email address
7. All applicants – name of secondary school, current or previous. For post-secondary applicants the name of the post-secondary institution if you are currently enrolled.
8. A paragraph of 250 words or fewer describing what plans you have to further your jazz
studies. Include details of how you would use the scholarship money if you receive an award. Do not include any photos or images.
9. A recording of a performance prepared according to the following guidelines:
· Record 2 selections of no more than 10 minutes total in length. One of these must be “All The Things You Are” by Jerome Kern. This tune was a favourite of Fraser MacPherson. The other tune could be another jazz standard or an original composition. For each piece the recording should begin with a statement of the melody, followed by one or more choruses of an improvised solo, followed by a concluding statement of the melody. Where possible, minimize or edit out solos by other ensemble members. Remember, the recording is about your playing.
· Recordings must be uploaded to YouTube or SoundCloud and a link must be included in the body of the email. Make sure the link or links can be publicly accessed and that they work properly. Do not attach mp3, WAV or other sound files to the email.
· Recordings must feature live accompanists. Multi-tracked or overdubbed recordings will not be accepted. A simple, but high quality 2-track stereo recording of a live performance will suffice. The judges must be able to hear your playing and your sound clearly. Please check your recording for balances and sound quality. Avoid distorted sounds.
· Include the names of the tunes you are performing and the names of all the musicians
performing on the recording. The Board of Directors will review applications shortly after the submission deadline and will notify successful finalists in early December. Finalists will be asked to perform at a live audition held Thursday, December 28, 2017, in Vancouver. Finalists must be available to play this audition in person. Friends and family of the applicants and the general public are invited to attend.
Email applications to Application Coordinator, Fred Stride at firstname.lastname@example.org
A COMPLETE application must be received before noon on Friday, November 3, 2017.
* FMJF uses social media to share news, updates and to announce finalists. We ask that all applicants follow us on twitter @FMjazzfund and on facebook at FraserMacPhersonJazzFund